There is evidence that protein hydrolysates can speed tissue repair following damage and may therefore be useful for accelerating recovery from exercise induced muscle damage. The potential for a hydrolysate (WPIHD) of whey protein isolate (WPI) to speed recovery following eccentric exercise was evaluated by assessing effects on recovery of peak isometric torque (PIT). In a double-blind randomised parallel trial, 28 sedentary males had muscle soreness (MS), serum creatine kinase (CK) activity, plasma TNFα, and PIT assessed at baseline and after 100 maximal eccentric contractions (ECC) of their knee extensors. Participants then consumed 250 ml of flavoured water (FW; n = 11), or FW containing 25 g WPI (n = 11) or 25 g WPIHD (n = 6) and the assessments were repeated 1, 2, 6 and 24 h later. PIT decreased ∼23% following ECC, remained suppressed in FW and WPI, but recovered fully in WPIHD by 6 h (P = 0.006, treatment × time interaction). MS increased following ECC (P < 0.001 for time), and remained elevated with no difference between groups (P = 0.61). TNFα and CK did not change (P > 0.45). WPIHD may be a useful supplement for assisting athletes to recover from fatiguing eccentric exercise.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Neuromuscular function after exercise-induced muscle damage.Sports Med. 2004; 34: 49-69
- Markers of inflammation and myofibrillar proteins following eccentric exercise in humans.Eur J Appl Physiol. 2001; 84: 180-186
- Pressure ulcer healing with a concentrated, fortified, collagen protein hydrolysate supplement: a randomized controlled trial.Adv Skin Wound Care. 2006; 19: 92-96
- Visual analogue scales.in: Melzack R. Pain measurement and assessment. Raven Press, New York1983: 33-37
- Maximal intensity isometric and dynamic exercise performance following eccentric muscle actions.J Sports Sci. 2002; 20: 951-959
- Exercise-induced skeletal muscle damage and adaptation following repeated bouts of eccentric muscle contractions.J Sports Sci. 1997; 15: 215-222
- Indomethacin modulates circulating cytokine responses to strenuous exercise in humans.Cytokine. 2002; 19: 153-158
Published online: September 30, 2009
Accepted: June 18, 2008
Received in revised form: June 6, 2008
Received: December 20, 2007
© 2008 Sports Medicine Australia. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.