- Physical activity and likelihood of depression in adults: a review.Prev Med. 2008; 46: 397-411
- The relationship between physical activity, sedentary behaviour and psychological wellbeing among adolescents.Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2007; 42: 851-856
- Sports participation and emotional wellbeing in adolescents.Lancet. 1996; 347: 1789-1792
- Role of physical and sedentary activities in the development of depressive symptoms in early adolescence.Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2011; 46: 431-441
- Emotional and behavioral problems in relation to physical activity in youth.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2008; 40: 1749-1756
- Physical activity and depressive symptoms in adolescents: a prospective study.BMC Med. 2010; 8: 1741-1750
Department of Health and Ageing. Get out and get active: Australia's physical activity recommendations for 12–18 year olds 2004; Available at: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/0D0EB17A5B838081CA256F9700136F60/$File/youth_phys.pdf. Accessed 18 October 2010.
Department of Health and Ageing 2007 Australian national children's nutrition and physical activity survey 2008; Available at: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/content/66596E8FC68FD1A3CA2574D50027DB86/$File/childrens-nut-phys-survey.pdf. Accessed 24 June 2010.
- Screenieboppers and extreme screenies: the place of screen time in the time budgets of 10–13 year-old Australian children.Aust N Z J Public Health. 2006; 30: 137-142
- Prospective reciprocal relations between physical activity and depression in female adolescents.J Consult Clin Psychol. 2010; 2: 268-272
- Past-year sports participation, current physical activity, and fitness in urban adolescent girls.J Phys Act Health. 2009; 6: 106-111
- Childhood and adolescent depression: a review of the past 10 years, Part II.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1996; 35: 1575-1583
- Patterns of adolescent physical activity, screen-based media use, and positive and negative health indicators in the U.S. and Canada.J Adolesc Health. 2009; 44: 493-499
- Television viewing and aggressive behavior during adolescence and adulthood.Science. 2002; 295: 2468-2475
- Psychological distress, television viewing, and physical activity in children aged 4 to 12 years.Pediatrics. 2009; 123: 1263-1268
- Physical activity, sedentary behaviour, and depressive symptoms among adolescents.J Phys Act Health. 2011; 8: 152-156
Australian Bureau of Statistics. Socio-economic indexes for areas (SEIFA), 2008. Available at: http://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/D3310114.nsf/home/Seifa_entry_page. Accessed 18 October 2010.
- Measuring risk and protective factors for substance use, delinquency, and other adolescent problem behaviors: the communities that care youth survey.Eval Rev. 2002; 26: 575-601
- Measurement properties of the communities that care youth survey across demographic groups.J Quant Crim. 2005; 21: 73-102
Amherst health and activity study – student survey. Available at http://www.drjamessallis.sdsu.edu/Documents/amhersthealthandactivitystudystudentsurvey.pdf. Accessed 20 August 2012.
- Convergent validity of the physical activity questionnaire for adolescents.Pediatr Exerc Sci. 1997; 9: 342-352
- Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance – United States, 2005.MMWR Surveill Summ. 2006; 55: 1-108
- A physical activity screening measure for use with adolescents in primary care.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2001; 155: 554-559
- Before- and after-school care, programs, and activities of children in kindergarten through eighth grade: 2001.U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics, Washington, DC2004
- Development of a short questionnaire for use in epidemiological studies of depression in children and adolescents.Int J Methods Psychiatr Res. 1995; 5: 237-249
- Physical activity and mental health.Sports Med. 2000; 29: 167-180
- Physical activity and depression: clinical experience.Acta Psychiatr Scand Suppl. 1994; 377: 23-27
- Effects of physical exercise on depression, neuroendocrine stress hormones and physiological fitness in adolescent females with depressive symptoms.Eur J Public Health. 2006; 16: 179-184
- Children's screen viewing is related to psychological difficulties irrespective of physical activity.Pediatrics. 2010; 5: 1011-1017
- Relationships between media use, body fatness and physical activity in children and youth: a meta-analysis.Int J Obes. 2004; 28: 1238-1246