Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport
Department of Health. Start Active, Stay Active: a report on physical activity for health from the four home countries’ Chief Medical Officers. Available at: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/216370/dh_128210.pdf. Accessed 14 August 2014.
- Tracking physical activity and sedentary behavior: a systematic review.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 44: 651-658
- Promoting physical activity in preschoolers to prevent obesity: a review of the literature.J Pediatr Nurs. 2013; 28: 3-19
O‘Dwyer MV, Fairclough SJ, Ridgers ND et al. Patterns of objectively measured moderate-to-vigorous physical activity in preschool children. J Phys Act Health [in press].
- Patterns of physical activity and sedentary behaviour in preschool children.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2012; 9: 138https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-9-138
- Objectively measured physical activity in four-year-old British children: a cross-sectional analysis of activity patterns segmented across the day.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2014; 11: 1https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-11-1
- Developmental physical education for all children.4th ed. Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL2003
- A developmental perspective on the role of motor skill competence in physical activity: an emergent relationship.Quest. 2008; 60: 290-306
- A reverse pathway? Actual and perceived skill proficiency and physical activity.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011; 43: 898-904
- Fundamental movement skills in children and adolescents: review of associated health benefits.Sports Med. 2010; 40: 1019-1035
- Fundamental movement skills and habitual physical activity in young children.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2005; 37: 684-688
- Motor skill performance and physical activity in preschool children.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008; 16: 1421-1426
- Relationships between fundamental movement skills and objectively measured physical activity in preschool children.Pediatr Exerc Sci. 2009; 21: 436-449
- Relationship of physical activity with motor skills, aerobic fitness and body fat in preschool children: a cross-sectional and longitudinal study (Ballabeina).Int J Obes. 2011; 35: 937-944
- Relationship between fundamental motor skills and physical activity in 4-year-old preschool children.Percept Mot Skills. 2013; 117: 627-646
- Fundamental movement skills and physical activity among children living in low-income communities: a cross sectional study.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2014; 11: 49https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-11-49
- Effect of a school-based active play intervention on sedentary time and physical activity in preschool children.Health Educ Res. 2013; 28: 931-942
Department for Communities and Local Government. The English indices of deprivation 2010. Available at: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/6320/1870718.pdf. Accessed 14 August 2014.
- Predictive validity and classification accuracy of Actigraph energy expenditure equations and cut-points in young children.PLOS ONE. 2013; 8: e79124https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0079124
- Test of gross motor development: examiner's manual.2nd ed. PRO-ED, Austin, Texas2000
- A field-based testing protocol for assessing gross motor skills in preschool children: the CHAMPS motor skills protocol (CMSP).Meas Phys Educ Exerc Sci. 2009; 13: 151-165
- Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey.BMJ. 2000; 320: 1240
- Preschool children and physical activity: a review of correlates.Am J Prev Med. 2008; 34 (435-441.e437)
- Young children's motor skill performance: relationships with activity types and parent perception of athletic competence.J Sci Med Sport. 2013; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsams.2013.10.253
- Correlates of preschool children's physical activity.Am J Prev Med. 2012; 43: 159-167
- Fundamental movement skills among Australian preschool children.J Sci Med Sport. 2010; 13: 503-508
- Associations between young children's perceived and actual ball skill competence and physical activity.J Sci Med Sport. 2014; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsams.2014.03.001
- Fundamental movement skill performance of preschool children in relation to family context.J Sport Sci. 2011; 29: 649-660
- Child, family and environmental correlates of children's motor skill proficiency.J Sci Med Sport. 2013; 16: 332-336
- Perceived sports competence mediates the relationship between childhood motor skill proficiency and adolescent physical activity and fitness: a longitudinal assessment.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2008; 5: 40https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-5-40