- •20mSRT performance is favourably associated with aspects of physiological, physical, psychosocial and cognitive health in children and youth.
- •The 20mSRT could be used as a holistic health indicator to help identify children and youth at risk of poor health.
- •20mSRT performance could be used as a population health indicator to compare the health of children and youth worldwide.
Conclusion and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport
- Aerobic fitness and its relationship to sport, exercise training and habitual physical activity during youth.Brit J Sports Med. 2011; 45: 849-858
- Physical fitness in childhood and adolescence: a powerful marker of health.Int J Obes. 2008; 32: 1-11
- High aerobic fitness in late adolescence is associated with a reduced risk of myocardial infraction later in life: a nationwide cohort study in men.Eur Heart J. 2014; 35: 3133-3140
- Aerobic fitness in late adolescence and the risk of early death: a prospective cohort study of 1.3 million Swedish men.Int J Epidemiol. 2015; (Published Online First: 20 December)https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyv321
- Capacité aérobie des Québécois de 6 à 17 ans-Test navette de 20 mètres avec paliers de 1 minute Aerobic capacity of 6 to 17 year old Québécois – 20 metre shuttle run test with 1 minute stages.Can J Appl Sport Sci. 1984; 9: 64-69
- International variability in 20 m shuttle run performance in children and youth: who are the fittest from a 50-country comparison? A systematic literature review with pooling of aggregate results.Sports Med. 2016; (Published Online First: 20 September)
- International normative 20 m shuttle run values from 1,142,026 children and youth representing 50 countries.Brit J Sports Med. 2016; (Published Online First: May 20th)https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsports-2016-095987
- Field tests of fitness.in: Armstrong N. van Mechlen W. Paediatric exercise science and medicine. Oxford University Press, New York, NY2000: 109-128
- Criterion-related validity of the 20-M shuttle run test for estimating cardiorespiratory fitness: a meta-analysis.J Sports Sci Med. 2015; 14: 536-547
- Systematic review of the health benefits of physical activity and fitness in school-aged children and youth.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2010; 7: 40
- Systematic review of the relationship between objectively measured physical activity and health indicators in school-aged children and youth.Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2016; 41: S197-S239
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.PLoS Med. 2009; 6: e1000097
- Utilization of the PICO framework to improve searching PubMed for clinical questions.BMC Med Inf Decis Mak. 2007; 7: 16
- Eurofit: handbook for the Eurofit tests of physical fitness.Council of Europe, Rome1988
- An evidence based checklist for the peer review of electronic search strategies (PRESS EBC).Evid Based Libr Inf Pract. 2010; 5: 149-154
- Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions version 5.1.0.The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011 (Available from)www.cochrane-handbook.org
- GRADE guidelines: 1. Introduction-GRADE evidence profiles and summary of findings tables.J Clin Epidemiol. 2011; 64: 383-394
- GRADE guidelines: 6. Rating the quality of evidence—imprecision.J Clin Epidemiol. 2011; 64: 1283-1293
- GRADE guidelines: 7. Rating the quality of evidence—inconsistency.J Clin Epidemiol. 2011; 64: 1294-1302
- GRADE guidelines: 8. Rating the quality of the evidence—indirectness.J Clin Epidemiol. 12 2011; 64: 1303-1310
- GRADE guidelines: 9. Rating up the quality of evidence.J Clin Epidemiol. 2011; 64: 1311-1316
United Nations, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division. World population prospects: the 2015 revision, key findings and advance tables. 2015; Working Paper No. ESA/P/WP.241.
- Declining cardiorespiratory fitness in youth: fact or supposition?.Pediatr Exerc Sci. 2002; 14: 1-8
- Are changes in distance-run performance of Australian children between 1985 and 1997 explained by changes in fatness?.Pediatr Exerc Sci. 2004; 16: 201-209
- Effects of an endurance training regimen of assessment of work capacity in prepubertal children.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1977; 301: 734-747
- Aerobic responses of young boys to submaximal running.Res Q. 1979; 50: 413-421
- Mathematical analysis of running performance and worldrecords.J Appl Physiol. 1989; 67: 453-465
- The relationship among running economy, aerobic power, and onset of blood lactate accumulation in young boys (11–15 years).in: Komi P.V. Exercise and sport biology. Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL1982: 57-60
- Trusting systematic reviews and meta-analyses: all that glitters is not gold!.Brit J Sports Med. 2016; (Published online first:15 October)
- The multistage 20 metre shuttle run test for aerobic fitness.J Sports Sci. 1988; 6: 93-101
- Artificial neural network-based equation for estimating VO2max for the 20 m shuttle run test in adolescents.Artif Intell Med. 2008; 44: 233-245
- Meredith M.D. Welk G.J. FITNESSGRAM/ACTIVITYGRAM test administration manual (updated 4th ed). Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL2010
- Global burden of disease attributable to mental and substance use disorders: findings from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010.Lancet. 2013; 382: 1575-1586
- Predictive validity of health-related fitness in youth: a systematic review.Brit J Sports Med. 2009; 43: 909-923