Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport
Richards L, Brew N, Smith L. 2019–20 Australian bushfires—Frequently asked questions: A quick guide Canberra, Department of Parliamentary Services, Parliament of Australia; 12 2020 Available at: https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/rp1920/Quick_Guides/AustralianBushfires. Accessed 10 November 2020.
- Unprecedented smoke-related health burden associated with the 2019–20 bushfires in eastern Australia.Med J Australia. 2020; 213: 282-283
- The health effects of the 2019–20 bushfires: Submission to the inquiry into the 2019–20 Victorian fire season.Grattan Institute, 2020
Sydney Thunder. Thunder vs Strikers match abandoned. Available at: https://www.sydneythunder.com.au/news/thunder-strikers-match-abandoned/2019-12-21. Accessed 4 November 2020.
Fox Sports. A-League match will go ahead despite air quality fears - but W-League game postponed. Available at: https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/aleague-wleague-news-games-postponed-over-air-quality-smoke-bushfire-crisis-newcastle-jets/news-story/05decc5a333b94386216c58952d49d51. Accessed 4 November 2020.
Bertoldo L. Canberra international relocated to Bendigo due to smoke haze. The Canberra times. 4 January 2020. Availabe at: Canberra international relocated to Bendigo due to smoke haze | the Canberra times | Canberra, ACT. Accessed 4 November 2020.
Hytner M and Howcroft J. Smoke plays havoc as Australian Open qualifier suffers coughing fi. The Gardian. 14 January 2020. Availabe at: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jan/14/safety-first-as-australian-open-qualifying-delayed-due-to-poor-air-quality#:~:text=Jakupovic%20was%20forced%20to%20retire,smoke%20enveloping%20Melbourne%20on%20Tuesday. Accessed 4 November 2020.
- Air quality guidelines: global update 2005: Particulate matter, ozone, nitrogen dioxide, and sulfur dioxide.World Health Organization, 2006
- Big data integration shows Australian bush-fire frequency is increasing significantly.R Soc Open Sci. 2016; 3150241
- Respiratory irritants in Australian bushfire smoke: air toxics sampling in a smoke chamber and during prescribed burns.Arch Environ Contam Toxicol. 2009; 56: 380-388
- Complexity and origin of the smoke components as measured near the flame-front of a real forest fire incident: a case study.J Anal Appl Pyrolysis. 2007; 78: 430-437
- Measurement of emissions from air pollution sources. 3. C1-C29 organic compounds from fireplace combustion of wood.Environ Sci Technol. 2001; 35: 1716-1728
- An integrated numerical system to estimate air quality effects of forest fires.Int J Wildland Fire. 2004; 13: 217-226
Ward D. Smoke from wildland fires. In Goh K, Schwela D, Goldammer J atl al (Ed). Health guidelines for vegetation fire events. World Health ORganisation. 1999. Availabe at: https://www.eird.org/isdr-biblio/PDF/Health%20guidelines%20for%20vegetation%20background.pdf
- Emission factors and composition of PM2.5 from laboratory combustion of five Western Australian vegetation types.Sci Total Environ. 2020; 703134796
- Heavy metal distribution, bioaccessibility, and phytoavailability in long-term contaminated soils from Lake Macquarie.Australia Soil Research. 2009; 47: 166-176
- Emission factors for heavy metals from diesel and petrol used in European vehicles.Atmos Environ. 2012; 61: 641-651
- Air pollution from bushfires and their association with hospital admissions in Sydney, Newcastle and Wollongong, Australia 1994–2007.Aust N Z J Public Health. 2013; 37: 238-243
- Quantitative relationship between visibility and mass concentration of PM2.5 in Beijing.J Environ Sci (China). 2006; 18: 475-481
- The effects of PM2.5 concentrations and relative humidity on atmospheric visibility in Beijing.J Geophys Res Atmos. 2019; 124: 2235-2259
- Characteristics of visibility and particulate matter (PM) in an urban area of Northeast China.Atmos Pollut Res. 2013; 4: 427-434
- Effect of PM2.5 chemical constituents on atmospheric visibility impairment.J Air Waste Manag Assoc. 2018; 68: 430-437
- Quantifying the impacts of PM2.5 constituents and relative humidity on visibility impairment in a suburban area of eastern Asia using long-term in-situ measurements.Sci Total Environ. 2022; 818151759
- What constitutes an adverse health effect of air pollution? Official statement of the American Thoracic Society.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2000; 161: 665-673
- Carbon monoxide poisoning.Br Med J (Clin Res Ed). 1988; 296: 77-79
SafeWork NSW. Carbon monoxide technical fact sheet: NSW Government. Available at: https://www.safework.nsw.gov.au/hazards-a-z/hazardous-chemical/priority-chemicals/carbon-monoxide-tech. Accessed 8 October 2022.
- Effects of exposure to low concentrations of carbon monoxide on exercise performance and myocardial perfusion in young healthy men.Occup Environ Med. 1999; 56: 535-538
- Workplace exposure standards for airborne contaminants. 2022; : 2022
Department of Employment, Economic development and innovation. Health effects of nitrogen oxides. The State of Queensland. 2011. Availabe at: https://www.resources.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/212483/2-health-effects-of-nitrogen-dioxide.pdf.
- Diagnosis and management of inhalation injury: an updated review.Crit Care. 2015; : 19.351
- The effect of smoke inhalation on pulmonary surfactant.Ann Surg. 1980; 191: 171-181
- Rabbit lung after acute smoke inhalation: cellular responses and scanning electron microscopy.Arch Surg. 1984; 119: 956-959
- Acute secretory cell toxicity and epithelial exfoliation after smoke inhalation injury in sheep: an electron and light microscopic study.Toxicol Mech Methods. 2010; 20: 504-509
- The acute pulmonary inflammatory response to the graded severity of smoke inhalation injury.Crit Care Med. 2012; 40: 1113
- Bronchoalveolar lavage in the normal volunteer subject: I.Technical aspects and intersubject variability.Chest. 1988; 94: 275-280
- Exposure to wood smoke particles produces inflammation in healthy volunteers.Occup Environ Med. 2012; 69: 170-175
- Antioxidant airway responses following experimental exposure to wood smoke in man.Part Fibre Toxicol. 2010; 7: 21
- An official American Thoracic Society clinical practice guideline: the clinical utility of bronchoalveolar lavage cellular analysis in interstitial lung disease.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2012; 185: 1004-1014
- Critical review of health impacts of wildfire smoke exposure.Environ Health Perspect. 2016; 124: 1334-1343
- Experimental woodsmoke exposure during exercise and blood oxidative stress.J Occup Environ Med. 2018; 60: 1073-1081
- Lung function measures following simulated wildland firefighter exposures.J Occup Environ Hyg. 2017; 14: 739-748
- Effect of wood smoke exposure on vascular function and thrombus formation in healthy fire fighters.Part Fibre Toxicol. 2014; 11: 62
Radford E, Drizd T. Blood carbon monoxide levels in persons 3-74 years of age: United States, 1976-80. Adv Data 1982 Mar 17;(76):1–24.
- Coal-mine fire-related fine particulate matter and medical-service utilization in Australia: a time-series analysis from the Hazelwood health study.Int J Epidemiol. 2019; 49: 80-93
- Three measures of forest fire smoke exposure and their associations with respiratory and cardiovascular health outcomes in a population-based cohort.Environ Health Perspect. 2011; 119: 1266-1271
- Evaluation of a spatially resolved forest fire smoke model for population-based epidemiologic exposure assessment.J Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol. 2016; 26: 233-240
- Forest fire smoke exposures and out-of-hospital cardiac arrests in Melbourne, Australia: a case-crossover study.Environ Health Perspect. 2015; 123: 959-964
Haikerwal A, Akram M, Sim M, et al. Fine particulate matter (PM2.5 ) exposure during a prolonged wildfire period and emergency department visits for asthma. Respirology. 2016;21(1):88–94.
- Air pollution events from forest fires and emergency department attendances in Sydney, Australia 1996-2007: a case-crossover analysis.Environ Health. 2014; 13: 105
- Ambient particulate matter, landscape fire smoke, and emergency ambulance dispatches in Sydney.Australia Environ Int. 2017; 99: 208-212
- Air particulate pollution due to bushfires and respiratory hospital admissions in Brisbane.Australia Int J Environ Health Res. 2006; 16: 181-191
- Exposure to bushfire smoke and asthma: an ecological study.Med J Aust. 2002; 176: 535-538
Johnston F, Bailie R, Pilotto L, et al. Ambient biomass smoke and cardio-respiratory hospital admissions in Darwin, Australia. BMC Public Health 2007;7. 40.
- Vegetation fire smoke, indigenous status and cardio-respiratory hospital admissions in Darwin, Australia, 1996-2005: a time-series study.Environ Health. 2008; 7: 42
- Risk of respiratory and cardiovascular hospitalisation with exposure to bushfire particulates: new evidence from Darwin.Australia Environ Geochem Health. 2012; 34: 697-709
- The impact of smoke on respiratory hospital outcomes during the 2002–2003 bushfire season, Victoria.Australia Respirology. 2009; 14: 69-75
- Creating an integrated historical record of extreme particulate air pollution events in Australian cities from 1994 to 2007.J Air Waste Manag Assoc. 2011; 61: 390-398
- Experimental wood smoke exposure in humans.Inhal Toxicol. 2006; 18: 855-864
- Experimental exposure to wood-smoke particles in healthy humans: effects on markers of inflammation, coagulation, and lipid peroxidation.Inhal Toxicol. 2006; 18: 845-853
- Oxidatively damaged DNA and its repair after experimental exposure to wood smoke in healthy humans.Mutat Res. 2008; 642: 37-42
- Effects on airways of short-term exposure to two kinds of wood smoke in a chamber study of healthy humans.Inhal Toxicol. 2012; 24: 47-59
- Short-term chamber exposure to low doses of two kinds of wood smoke does not induce systemic inflammation, coagulation or oxidative stress in healthy humans.Inhal Toxicol. 2013; 25: 417-425
- Exposure to wood smoke increases arterial stiffness and decreases heart rate variability in humans.Part Fibre Toxicol. 2013; 10: 20
- Wood smoke in a controlled exposure experiment with human volunteers.Inhal Toxicol. 2011; 23: 277-288
- Systemic effects of wood smoke in a short-term experimental exposure study of atopic volunteers.J Occup Environ Med. 2014; 56: 177-183
- Effects of wood smoke particles from wood-burning stoves on the respiratory health of atopic humans.Part Fibre Toxicol. 2012; 9: 12
- Acute differences in pulse wave velocity, augmentation index, and central pulse pressure following controlled exposures to cookstove air pollution in the subclinical tests of volunteers exposed to smoke (SToVES) study.Environ Res. 2020; 180108831
- Bronchial hyperresponsiveness.Occup Med. 2015; 66: 95-105
- Measurement of airway hyperresponsiveness: new considerations.Thorax. 1998; 53: 419-424
- Asthma prevalence in Olympic summer athletes and the general population: an analysis of three European countries.Respir Med. 2015; 109: 813-820
- Asthma, asthma medication and training intensity in Swedish competitive athletes: an internet-based survey.Eur Respir J. 2016; 48(suppl 60):PA2215
- Prevalence of exercise-induced bronchoconstriction and exercise-induced laryngeal obstruction in a general adolescent population.Thorax. 2015; 70: 57-63
- Exercise-induced laryngeal obstruction (EILO) in athletes: a narrative review by a subgroup of the IOC consensus on ‘acute respiratory illness in the athlete’.Br J Sports Med. 2022; 56: 622-629
- Ultrafine particle deposition in humans during rest and exercise.Inhal Toxicol. 2003; 15: 539-552
- Effects of physical activity on the deposition of traffic-related particles into the human lungs in silico.Sci Total Environ. 2011; 409: 4511-4518
- Health effects of physical activity as predicted by particle deposition in the human respiratory tract.Sci Total Environ. 2019; 657: 819-826
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
☆Endorsed by the Australasian College of Sport and Exercise Physicians and Sport Medicine Australia.